In 1921 the Sisters of St. Martha moved to this property on the outskirts of Antigonish and established their motherhouse which they called Bethany. From then until the early 1970s the Marthas operated an active farm here. Bethany grounds was the home for many trees before it became the home of the Marthas and many of the trees the Sisters planted will move into a future they will not see. The trees have been a great blessing to the Sisters and the arboretum will speak to the times of shared history.
Our vision of the Bethany Arboretum is that the trees on the Bethany property will be living reminders to us and visitors of the interconnection of all creation. It will raise awareness of the importance of trees through education and celebration. By associating trees with Martha Sisters, events and values, we honour the deep connection of our shared journey. We plant both native and non-native species to make visible the invitation nature gives us to grow into unity amidst diversity.
We hope you will enjoy the trees as much as we have.
Sisters of St. Martha